Frequently Asked Questions

What should I bring with me when I come to the clinic?

You will need an ID and insurance card (if you have them).

What should I expect as a new patient?

New intake forms on arrival, you can print and bring them from this website, or email them prior to your appointment,

You will meet with the medical doctor on admission to the clinic. Subsequent visits, you will be assigned a team provider to help guide you through the process. Treatment will also be offered to you if you are not currently enrolled in a treatment program. We will request to have you sign ROI (release of information) for the treatment program/therapist/or other providers.

 Do you take insurance?

Yes. We currently accept all the major prepaid medical assistance plans and commercial plans in the Twin Cities, this includes:

  • Health Partners
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Medica
  • U-Care
  • Hennepin Health
  • Medical Assistance (MA)
  • Cigna
  • Preferred One
  • South Country Health Alliance
  • Medicare

Please contact us to inquire further.

Can I pay cash if I do not have insurance?

Yes, cash payments are accepted. We also have an MNSure navigator who can help you through the process of applying for insurance.

Do you treat pain?

No. Although Suboxone can be used for pain, this is an addiction medicine medical office, and as such, our primary concern is treating addiction.

Do you do new starts on Suboxone?

Yes, if we determine that Suboxone is medically appropriate for you. Suboxone can be used to detox from heroin or while tapering off pain pills in the outpatient setting.

Do you treat alcohol addiction?

Yes, we do. We offer, if appropriate, outpatient (meaning at home, with clinic visits) detox and medications. Once detoxed, we offer anti-craving medications, such as Campral, Naltrexone, and Vivitrol.  We also have counseling and groups (treatment available).

How often do I have to come into the clinic?

If you are a new start on Suboxone, you will need to come in daily for two days. We will monitor your progress with the induction and titrate your dose. Then you come in once weekly for four weeks, then biweekly for three months. If you are doing well then, visits can be reduced to monthly, per the doctor’s discretion. You will have random UDS (urine drug screens) and film/pill counts throughout your treatment.

If you are on a stable dose of Suboxone and transfer to Kai Shin, you will need to come in weekly for four weeks, then biweekly three months, then monthly, again at the doctor’s discretion. We will ensure you are on the correct dose, monitor the urine drug screens, and assess how you are doing.

If you seek help with a different addiction, it depends on the treatment plan, but typically weekly to start, and then this will be biweekly and monthly.

What other requirements does Kai Shin Clinic have to be in the program?

You must attend treatment and/or meet with a therapist for counseling. You will also receive random and scheduled urine drug testing.

Does Kai Shin Clinic allow me to be on benzodiazepines?

The short answer is no. Benzodiazepines in conjunction with Suboxone can lead to increased risk of respiratory depression. Therefore, we will taper you off of them. The taper can be arranged through your current treating physician or one of the doctors at Kai Shin Clinic.

Does Kai Shin Clinic treat my addiction to kratom?

Yes, if appropriate. We will offer a Suboxone detoxification and low dose maintenance management, then a taper off.  Unfortunately, this is becoming more present in the community, and patients are presenting addicted and requiring help. 

Does the clinic treat my heroin addiction?

Yes, we do, with medication-assisted treatment, counseling, and outpatient treatment.

Can I be seen for methamphetamine addiction?

Yes, you can. We work to find an underlying reason for the methamphetamine use and work to help you with that while offering the latest medications to assist with cravings. Also, we offer counseling and outpatient treatment, with urine drug testing.

What if my son or daughter is using MBOX 30s?

MBOX 30s are synthetic fentanyl and are highly dangerous. We offer Suboxone and other MAT medications to assist.  Unfortunately, we see this more and more in the Somali community here in the Twin Cities.

My son is using THC. Should I be worried?

We like to work together to figure out why your son is using THC, is there an underlying mental health concern? We work together to limit and eventually stop use. Our philosophy is not one of judgment but one of working together to find healthier alternatives.

Are there any medications to help me to stop drinking besides anti cravings?

Yes, we will sometimes prescribe Antabuse. You take it weekly in the clinic while we observe. We also want you to consider being on an anti-craving medication, going to groups, treatment, and therapy.

What is that injection I heard about?

There is Vivitrol and Sublocade. 

What other forms of Suboxone are there besides film?

Tablet and in injection form

If I have a relapse, how will I be treated?

We do not have a shaming or punitive culture at Kai Shin Clinic, we are understanding, but in the same regard, we are motivated to help you move to complete sobriety and healthier lifestyle choices.  You will likely be offered more wraparound services and more frequent monitoring and drug testing.

Can I bring a friend to an appointment who needs help?

Yes absolutely. Please do.

Do you take walk-in appointments?

Yes, we will squeeze you in, you may have to wait until we can, but we will see you, so long as you arrive before we close.

Can you talk to my primary care doctor and share information?

Yes, we prefer it this way, but you must sign an ROI.  If you do not want to, we will not share any information.

Do you treat alcohol addiction?

Yes, we do. We treat all substance use disorders.

I had an addiction in the past, and now I am sober. Can I be seen for mental health evaluation and treatment?

We are an addiction medicine clinic where our main focus is to help those struggling with substance use disorder. If you have a history of SUD, we will be happy to see you and treat you for mental health.

What are the typical mental health concerns about which patients come to Kai Shin Clinic for treatment?

Kai Shin Clinic is an addiction clinic dedicated to helping those with substance use and mental health. Typically, our patients may also have a history of:


  • Trauma
  • PTSD
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Bipolar, ruling out bipolar (meaning was this a substance-induced mood disorder vs. true bipolar?)
  • Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Schizophrenia
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Personality Disorders
  • Methamphetamine-induced psychosis
  • Eating disorders
  • Social anxiety

Do you have rule 25?

Yes, we do.

Does the clinic offer any testing?

Yes, we offer psychological testing. We offer MMPI and ADHD testing.  We also have diagnostic assessments.

Will you treat my ADHD?

Yes. We will test you for this and then typically offer non-addictive medications first.  Your doctor may decide to prescribe a stimulant medication if appropriate, but this will be closely monitored with pill counts and urine drug testing.

If you are struggling with addiction, contact us today.